FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
OTTAWA: Member of Parliament for Yellowhead, Gerald Soroka wishes to inform constituents that the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has opened the application process for the Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB).
The CRB provides $500 per week up to 26 weeks, for workers who have stopped working or had their employment/self-employment income reduced by at least 50% due to COVID-19 and are not eligible for EI.
The CRA is providing an application process for the CRB similar to the one that Canadians used to access Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB). Those eligible can apply for these benefits online through the CRA’s ‘My Account’ portal or toll-free at: 1-800-959-2019 or 1-800-959-2041.
To ensure the recovery benefits provide more targeted support for those who continue to need it, the application process for CRB includes new elements, such as:
• shorter eligibility periods of two weeks;
• retroactive periods, (those applying will be required to apply after the two-week period has ended);
• a 10% tax withholding at source; (will receive payments of $900 for each two-week eligibility period);
• a three-to-five-day window to receive payments for applications made by direct deposit, and,
• a 10-12-day window for cheque by mail.
To learn more or to apply for the Canada Recovery Benefit please visit: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/benefits/recovery-benefit.html