Self-employed Workers Who Repaid the CERB To Be Reimbursed

OTTAWA: Gerald Soroka, Member of Parliament for Yellowhead, wishes to advise that starting on May 27, 2021, self-employed workers who meet the remission order criteria and who had voluntarily repaid all or part of the CERB to the CRA or Service Canada can request a reimbursement of their payments only from the CRA. These workers can do so by completing the CRA form at: T180 CERB reimbursement application for self-employed individuals – and submitting it to the CRA electronically or by mail.
The CRA will begin processing applications after June 15, 2021. Eligible Canadians who repaid the CERB can expect reimbursements within approximately 90 days of submitting their applications to the CRA.
Self-employed workers whose net self-employment income was less than $5,000 and who applied for the CERB will not be required to repay the CERB, as long as:
• They have filed their 2019- and 2020-income tax returns by December 31, 2022.
• Their gross self-employment income was $5,000 or more in 2019 or in the 12 months prior to their initial application; and
• They met all other CERB eligibility criteria.
The CRA will review the 2019- and 2020-income tax returns of workers in this situation to verify that these conditions are met.